- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is the most common chronic inflammatory arthritis. Ultrasound (US) is used for precise disease characterization in RA.
- Manual acquisition and interpretation is required, leading to rater reliability problems.
- There is a requirement for objective and efficient interpretation of US images in RA.
- US image acquisition and interpretation can be more efficiently combined into a single step with corresponding time saving for the operators (including use by clinicians in the busy outpatient settings)
- RA affects 6.7 million patients in Europe and USA
- RA direct costs in Europe amount to 14B Euros per year
- In the SG Burden of Disease Study 2010, RA was featured as a disease with considerable disability
- RA ranked as the 12th cause of DALY
- RA ranked 7th in the Years Lost to Disability
- A system is developed that can receive US joint image(s) and output the inflammation score and a quantitative report through the following:
- Automatic detection and segmentation of the synovium (measuring its size)
- Automatic detection and segmentation of the PD signal within the synovium area
- Utilise the information to quantify joint inflammation
- The technology is hence more efficient and accurate than manual interpretation of the US images
- RA patients can be objectively stratified and thus improve RA disease activity monitoring
- 120 images have been obtained and processed to train the algorithm
Current IP position: Provisional patent application filed.
Upon the successful validation of the technology, the team intends to spin out a company to bring the product to market. Investments and/or partnerships are welcome.
Dr Tan York Kiat / SingHealth